Sunday, April 13, 2008

A New Start

Things really are different when you welcome someone new into your home. A lot of things change and sometimes they create some very funny moments.

This blog entry is not going to be a long one. I just wanted to share some of the comings and goings of our new house guest...Caleb.

When we shared time and space at the shelter it was different. You don't really get comfortable. You more or less exist and try not to get in anyone else's way. When you are in a house and you have all the comforts of a home you tend to be a little more relaxed. Routines that you are use to suddenly need to be changed to accommodate the new guy. When I get up in the morning I like to get up out of bed, head to the shower and get ready for breakfast. Thats fine and well when your on your own. I got up as usual, headed to the shower, showered and headed back to my...er...our room. So I am getting dressed and the door opens and in walks Caleb to get something. Now, fortunately I was only in a partial state of undress but it scared the bejesus out of me. We ended up laughing about it as we discussed the fact that we are going to have to get used to this arrangement and preserve modesty as much as is possible. What I did not tell him is that I tend to do my level best to catch him in a compromising situation so I can poke some fun at him LOL.

The breakfast routine also needs to be considered. My family prays before each meal as a family. Caleb is not a religious guy so there is some adjusting to be done there. He goes along with it but I know its all new to him.

Oh, did I also mention that he snores...oh man, I mean, he snores pretty loud. I never really noticed until I was in a confined space with him. Its funny though, and I laugh over it.

Another thing is the funny way he rolls his pairs of socks into balls...I dunno, I dont do that but its funny to watch him carefully roll each pair LOL...little things I guess.

I guess what I am saying is that things are different at home in a good way. We are getting used to being together in the house and its been a great opening weekend with him here. We still hug at night, we still cuddle up on the couch to watch tv...when my rents are not home...and we still feel connected like we did before he moved in.

I hope this is the beginning of something very special. It feels like it is, but I guess only time will tell.

LiveSTRONG!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I would be calling this, "Derry & Caleb's Excellent Adventure"

Indeed when two people choose to live together it is an adjustment. Just ask my wife HAHA!

Just do as your parents say and most importantly, make sure you have a towel firmly wrapped around yourself if you come walking out of the shower!