Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Falling On Deaf Ears

It seems as though this Cold Case episode has made a lot of waves in the deaf community. I have read a lot of blogs around the episode. Some good and some very critical. I just want to weigh in a little on the issue since I blogged on it a little last entry.

I want to be clear; I don’t think that the episode was meant to draw a line in the sand around the deaf and hearing communities. I think the two can co-exist. In fact, I know they can, and I am living proof of that fact. The fact that this whole episode has caused such a stir in the community tells me that maybe it touched a nerve. All those who are saying that it creates a civil war atmosphere between the CI’s (Cochlear Implants) and the Deaf are maybe being a little defensive because deep down they know it’s true. From personal experience, I can tell you as I did before that it changed things for me. My non-CI friends did not want to read my lips and instead insisted that I sign to them. I don’t think they felt that I was a bad guy, I think they just felt that they needed to wrap themselves in the security blanket that is the deaf community and all the traditionalist ideas that come with being in that world. Remember, being deaf is a disability and for many of us, that means we tend to be very protective not only of ourselves, but also those in our community. When a perceived attack like the one from Hollywood a la Cold Case happens, the wagons get circled and the defenses come out.

I am not saying its right or wrong, I am just saying that it happens and the deaf community knows it does. We also know that we tend to protect our own and dare I say it, we also tend to shun the hearing community and maybe even go so far as to act like bigots towards them. Maybe we curse them for being able to hear. I don’t know for sure. What I do know is that attacking this episode of Cold Case only further perpetuates the invisible line in the sand between the deaf, CI’s, and the hearing world. By attacking this show for actually doing something that most television programs haven’t (focusing on the deaf community and actually using sign language in the show) we only serve to further segregate ourselves and further classify ourselves as self-absorbed outcasts. In my humble opinion, we should welcome this sort of exposure. How many people suddenly decided that maybe taking a course in ASL would be a good thing as a result of seeing the beauty and expressiveness of ASL? Is that not a good thing? Sure it is, and we all know it. I can tell you, since that show was on; at least a dozen people in the shelter have asked me to teach them some basic ASL. Would they have done that had they not seen it on TV? I think not.

All I am saying is, let’s not be so quick to condemn this show. It may anger you that it was not done to your liking or satisfaction, but please; let’s not shun what little exposure our disability gets in the mainstream hearing world. If we do that, our next message to the hearing world may very well fall on deaf ears.

LiveSTRONG

P.S. I am heading to the doctors today and will likely be starting Chemo tomorrow so I may not post again until Thursday. Wish me luck.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My wife has always wanted to learn ASL. She used to be a personal support worker and it would have helped in the job. I can sign my name and a couple of basic words like mommy, daddy, baby, more, food, thank you, etc... It's because we tried to teach Owen to sign with hopes that he could communicate with us before he could speak. Tanya read somewhere that babies could learn sign language before they could actually speak. I don't know how well it worked but, we tried. I look at ASL as just another language. Owen will learn Portuguese (from my parents) and english from the rest of us. As far as I'm concerned, you can never know too many languages.

Good luck at the doctor's today.

Unknown said...

Hey man, I saw a couple minutes of the episode you're talking about while I was flipping through the channels. Since I know zero ASL, and did not see the entire episode, I can't really feel the way you do on this situation, nor do I have much to say. The reason I'm commenting is to wish you luck at the doctor's tomorrow, and I really hope all goes much better in this second try with chemo. Send me a message on simhl to tell me if you'll still be at the shelter, and when you need my help with the upcoming rap post.

LiveSTRONG my friend.

Warrior

Anonymous said...

Sending good, healing, positive vibes your way for your visit today and upcoming "events"!

N. *grins*

Adeafmute said...

ASL is a beautiful expressive language. if you have not studied it, you really should. I dont know about babies picking it up but I do know that the younger you are, the easier it is. I think the idea of babies communicating with it before they can speak is really cool. Anytime you can learn another language its a good thing.

Thanks for all the support around the medical stuff. I have been through this before so I know what I am getting into. I just hope the nausea is not insane this time, otherwise I can deal with the rest of it.

Thanks everyone, you all rock in my books!

Derry

Anonymous said...

May the fates shine on you. Here is hoping that everything you so desperately want and need comes to you.

Here is also hoping that the aftermath of the Chemo is not nearly as violent as you feel it will be.

LiveSTRONG brother!

Anonymous said...

Just wanted you to know that I'm thinking of you, and hoping that all is well in your world.

Sending you rainbows, red lolipops, sunscreen and fresh-out of the lake smells..... (translations: happy thoughts and vibes)....

N.