Monday, April 28, 2008

Life Before Cancer, Part 5

I have talked about the sounds of my first thunderstorm and I was trying to think about what would be interesting to talk about next. I think I am going to talk about hearing my own voice for the first time. From there I will spend some time tomorrow talking about speech therapy since they go hand in hand.

When you dont know how to talk sometimes the biggest challenge is just trying to get the simplest words out. The problem is, when I first went to say anything at all it was basically a grunting kind of sound. Not really words as much as it was just a collection of sounds.

When I first went to try and talk and find my voice I was really self conscious. I was afraid to let people hear me because to me it sounded more like an animal and not much like a human voice. I think in that respect it can be kind of embarassing.

Its really hard to describe because most people do not remember when they first spoke. You can hear a baby giggle, gurgle, and make baby noises and although we laugh at stuff like that, it is not always as funny when your hearing a grown teenager doing it..

So what did my voice sound like? Well, it was kind of deep, kind of smooth, but kind of start and stop. I dont really know how to describe it any other way. Its really tough to try and explain when you dont really know yourself.

Once I got the ability to use my voice, the next step was to learn to be able to use it to make actual words instead of just funny sounds.

In my next entry I am going to spend a little bit of time talking about speech therapy and the long and painful process of learning to talk at my age. Its not easy and I still dont have it right but I am trying and I am doing pretty good at it.

Stay tuned, the best is yet to come in this series. On that note, is there anything in particular you would like me to blog about? If there is, leave it in the remarks and I will be happy to touch on it for you. Till then

LiveSTRONG!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL...

Personally I just want to know how you are doing with your decision, how things with your rents are going and how you and Caleb are doing!

I get that lots of folks here are interested in the other aspects, but I just wanna know that you are fine in your world...

(*whines*)

N.

Adeafmute said...

Ask you and you recieve LOL

I love writing about what is going on, especially when it involves the Big C!

It feels good to know you care about the other stuff, thanks for asking!

Anonymous said...

I of course care about what's going on with your health as well. But I'm also looking forward to reading more about you learning to speak. It's a particularly fascinating topic to me.

Adeafmute said...

hey thats cool Al. I know everyone has different things they like to read about. I also know you care bout my health