Thursday, December 20, 2007

Finding the Phantom

I had the chance to watch the Phantom Of The Opera on video tonight. I am so very moved by it all that I need to write, I need to write what I am feeling.

The music in this musical is magical. The songs take you on an emotional roller coaster. From highs to lows to highs again. Although it was a hollywood version, it was amazing. Immediately my mind thought that the Phantom was this bad person who was not to be trusted, that he was evil incarnate but as I listened to his music, when I closed my eyes and let the tone, intonation, the movement and the true meaning and emotion of what he was singing set in, I began to see it all very differently. The Phantom is not some bad guy in the musical. He is actually a tortured musical genius, taunted by the inhabitants of his theatre. All he wants is his dear Christine Dyer to sing for him and sing she does.

My favourite song has to be "Music Of The Night". It grabs hold of you and does not let go. It wraps you in its mood and takes you for a ride. Amazing.

The song left me helpless to the notes that he sings and I loved the feeling of it all. The words felt like they were being spoken directly to me. "Hearing is believing, music is deceiving" how very true is that and yet every word had me taken fully.

I am rambling I know but I can not help myself, the music has impacted me so deeply and I cant shake it. I think I will watch it all again and it will occupy me for the rest of the week I am sure.

I must seem so very stupid for saying all of this about some musical but I cant help it. I love it and it is an excellent distraction for me. "Close your eyes and let music set you free, only then can you belong to me". Amazing. I wish I had the talent that these performers do because I think I would love to play the role if I could. So very dark, so very tortured and yet so very alive.

I am attaching a video of Michael Crawford and Sarah Brightman singing this song. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Thanks for listening as always

LiveSTRONG!

3 comments:

2Shay said...

I'm all caught up on your Blog now. I can't wait for more.

I have noticed your love of music and I can't help but wonder if there are any styles you're partial to, or any particular artists?

Also, is there any music that you don't particularly care for? Say for instance would you find hard metal music to be a cacophony of sound?

Last, if I may, may I recommend Bob Marley. If you enjoy positive music with a message and music that just makes you feel... happy, it might be worth a shot. A personal favourite of mine is "Three Little Birds" Here's the URL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnDrbagYm24

Apologies in advance for any stupid questions I have asked, or might ask in the future.

Keep writing David!!

Adeafmute said...

Hi 2shay

I am sorry for taking so long to respond to your comments. I am so glad your enjoying my writing. I just try to post what is on my mind and speak from the heart.

I love Marley, he has some awesome music and thank you for pointing me further in his direction.

As for music I dont care for? Hmmm, I dont think so because really, when you never have had something its hard to not have an appreciation for everything when you have it. That being said, I prefer music that conveys a meaning using words and not necessarily with sound alone.

I hope that makes sense

Thanks for reading

2Shay said...

Makes perfect sense :)