Monday, November 12, 2007

Is That What It Sounds Like...

Many people have asked me lately why I have not been posting to my blog, why have I not been keeping up on the journey from Deaf to hearing. To those who have asked me, your answer is coming. Sometimes lifes journeys take us on a different direction, such is the case with me.

Two weeks ago, I went to the doctor with swollen glands, night sweats, fatigue and a vague itchiness I could not explain. I was sent for blood work and called back the next day. The doctor knew what was wrong and wanted to see me.

I will never forget the sight of him walking in, his white lab coat on, file in hand, and a seriousness I had not seen in a long time. He sat down across from me, put his hand on my shoulder and in seconds changed my life. At that moment I wished I was deaf again but I was not. I told myself it was a dream but it was reality. I listened to him tell me I had Hodgkins disease...or in other terms, cancer of the lymph nodes.

Cancer...me...after all I have been through, how was this fair, how was this right? How could this be?

The good news he tells me is that the cure rate is over 90% and that because I am young, my chances are better still. It did not matter, I have cancer and I had to listen to him tell me. There was no hiding behind signs, no way to block it out. Suddenly, I knew what it was like to have to LISTEN to that kind of news.

For the next few posts I will break from posting on my hearing and take you on my journey to finding remission. A cure if you will. I put on my LiveSTRONG brecelet this morning and put on a brave face. I meet with the Oncologist tomorrow to map out my treatment.

I will listen to him and do what he tells me but this time, at night, I can HEAR myself crying, and the sounds terrifies me.

LiveSTRONG!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jesus dude! That's some tough news! I don't know what to say except you've got to trust the numbers and not let this stress you out too much. Think of this as an inconvenience. You'll have to go through treatment and some days will suck, but most days will be OK and as long as you stay positive, there is no reason life can't continue as usual. In the past 3 years, it seems that cancer has invaded my life all over the place. My sister-in-law was diagnoses with breast cancer at 35, she's strong and cancer free now. My grandfather died of cancer of the esophagus, he was old and it was found late. My best friend's wife was recently diagnosed at 31 and she's going through treatment now. We're still planning outings and giving her things to look forward to. That's an important part of dealing with this. Continuing to look forward and not dwelling too much on what's happening to you right now. I have no doubt that you'll be fine.

Anonymous said...

Peace 'D' and be strong.

2Shay said...

Dude!!! I don't even know what to say. I wish you all the strength you need to get through this.

Anonymous said...

Hey Derry. You don't know who I am and I have never met you but I have been reading your blog for a little while now. I have not bothered to post anything but I am going to post some stuff now.

Your a strong kid, your story is incredible and I think we should all feel humbled by your courage.

LiveSTRONG dude