Thursday, August 28, 2008

100th Anniversary Entry

As I type this I can hardly believe that this entry marks one hundred entries on this blog. Although the meter on the side says this is entry 98, the site admin panel says this is #100 and so I am going to recognize this as #100. That being said I intend to use this entry to talk about fulfilling my dream to of seeing the Phantom Of The Opera in London.

I could spend time talking about the flight to London, the fun of landing at Heathrow, getting used to people driving on the wrong side of the road and of course there is the whole accent thing...whats up with that LOL. Instead, I am going to focus exclusively on the performance itself. And so, without further adieu, lets begin.

I arrived at Her Majesty's Theatre and I was awestruck. The sheer magnificence of this theatre is enough to take your breath away and leave you completely amazed at just how amazing it must be to actually stand on the stage and be a part of the performance. It was simply amazing and the location in the Haymarket was simply magic.

Making my way down front, I took my seats in the orchestra section. I was just off to the right, a few rows back from the orchestra pit and I had a simply amazing view of the entire surroundings. I was so close I really felt as though I could actually reach out and touch the performers. I look around at the balcony behind me and the sheer size of the theatre. Seating close to 1700 people, it is a full house tonight.

I sit there and wait for the curtain to climb. I know the opening act almost by heart and I wait patiently for the auction to start, in particular my rabid fascination with the monkey playing the symballs. Suddenly, as if gravity has disappeared, the curtain climbs and a foggy dusty environment awaits. The moment I have been waiting for begins and the show starts.

I am amazed at just how close I really am to the point I can see the eye colour of the performers, I can see the beads of sweat that break on their foreheads from the hot stage lights beating down on them. Indeed, I am in heaven and its only just begun.

As the auction closes the set comes to life and suddenly this massive chandelier begins to rise and I watch it coming up over my head...it feels so close and yet it is so far away!

Tonights Phantom is the regular performer, Ramin Karimloo and Christine is to be played by Robyn North. By their credits, they should be great and indeed they are as Christine appears on stage. Her performance is magnetic and her voice is simply amazing. Although I will have a hard time finding anyone better than Sarah Brightman, Robyn makes my skin crawl with her powerful voice. Ramin plays a very majestic Phantom. The brooding tortured musical genius that is the Phantom is well portrayed by the youngish Karimloo. His makeup is also well done as we see only peeks of the face we all know hides behind the mask.

The signature songs are performed magically. Christine's "Think Of Me" is well done, "Music Of The Night" is rapturing and "The Phantom Of The Opera" is sinfully well delivered. Indeed, the players are on the top of their game this evening and they seem determined to make sure everyone leaves feeling as though they got their money's worth.

Some of my favourite moments were when Karimloo delivers his tortured and menacing statement, after finding Raoul and Christine have made plans to be together, indeed he looks solemn, as though the life has been sucked from his very being, he sulks around as we watch the flame of hatred and rage begin to flicker and finally burn bright as he declares, "You will curse the day you did not do, all that the Phantom asks of you"

I would be remiss if I did not speak of the shock and horror I felt as I watched a massive Chandelier come crashing down from above me, giving me the impression it was going to graze my head as it came crashing down on the stage...gasps could be heard from the audience, including yours truly as it came flying down at a well choreographed speed that would make even the most hardened theatre goer feel shocked.

My other favourite scene is the opening of act 2. Indeed, "Masquerade" has to be one of my favourite cast moments. All the costumes, the sheer magnificence and decadence of the costumes...the chorus of voices and what a fun song to listen to. Indeed, it was simply amazing.

As the curtain starts to fall, I am feeling as though I am in a dream. I have just witnessed live, a production which has amazed me since I first saw and heard it. Karimloo comes out last and gives us a bow, just after Robyn appears to give us her bow. Karimloo extends an hand to the Orchestra pit as the conductor stands and receives his share of the applause. It is a standing ovation and there are 3 curtain calls before they finally pack it in.

As I walk out the doors of my dream, my fantasy fulfilled, I am humbled by what I have seen and heard tonight. The remainder of my stay here is a blur as I recall over and over again in my mind, the various scenes. Indeed I am the luckiest person alive and I have my parents to thank for it. Thanks Mom and Dad!

I am attaching a video from Youtube which show Karimloo and North performing "Music Of The Night", their signature song. Please take a moment to watch as they will give you a small taste of what I had a chance to enjoy fully.

Music Of The Night:



As always...Think of me, think of me fondly....

LiveSTRONG!

No comments: