Thursday, February 14, 2008

Learning To Speak

Its funny, when you are able to hear you also quickly learn that you have no real idea how to talk. It may seem odd to some, but being able to hear does not translate automatically into being able to speak and speak properly.

When I got my hearing, I began some very intense therapy to learn how to make the sounds I was making into words. I know that must sound odd but its true. All I knew how to do was to make sounds. With some very intensive therapy though, I learned how to make words. I am not perfect at it, and lord knows I am still working on it but I am getting there. I still have problems with the letter S and the letter T. I have a rotten way of slurring those letters so that they sound really off of what they should sound like.

People dont laugh at me or anything but they do try to correct me and that is fine, I need all the help I can get. I guess what I wanted to do in this short entry was talk a little about learning to talk. Next time you go to say something, try to remember how you learned to do that. You were a little child with no record of trying to talk. Now try being my age, self conscious, and fully aware of how bad you sound in front of anyone. It can be a real reality check.

Anyways, In my next entry I am going to talk about the movie, "The Bucket List" and my own personal Bucket List

Stay Tuned!

LiveSTRONG!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fascinating. So how long did it take you to learn what others were saying to you? I mean I know you know the words, but you couldn't know what they sounded like. I imagine the process of listening and understanding words would be easier than learning the mechanics of actually making the sounds.

Adeafmute said...

That is so true. It is a whole other world when you hear the words that are being said to you. You know them with signs but not with sounds. Part of the speech therapy process includes learning what the words are as well as being able to say them. In the beginning people would talk to me like normal and sign at the same time so I knew what was being said. Even now when I talk I still instinctively sign along with my words. I need to break that habit but its a hard one to break. I am getting the hang of it though.