Saturday, February 23, 2008

Elaine Page Makes A Memory

I have said it before and I will say it again, Cats and Phantom Of The Opera are hands down my favourite musicals. I really want to see both of them live somehow. Cats more than anything else though. What am I to do about that?

Well I did what any internet Savvy guy would do....I logged on to YouTube and found some video footage. Now, I have always liked the song "Memory" in Cats. There is just something about that song that grabs me and just wont let me go. It was not until I saw Elaine Page perform it though that I realized what real performance of that song looks like.

Elaine is a Diva, plain and simple. Her intonation is amazing, her annunciation is crisp, and the tortured reflective mood she projects with the gravelly aged voice is simply amazing. Half way through the song though we get the exact from another cat...a young and innocent soprano sings acting as the perfect foil to Elaines voice. Truly a mesmerizing opposite to Elaines "old" voice. The circle of life is completed with youth and age being served.

Spellbinding, mesmerizing, and eclectic are the only things I can think to say. For Elaine though it is not just her voice, it is also her movements, her facial expressions. She captures the mood of the song better than anyone else I have seen sing that song.

If your reading this, PLEASE, watch the video. You wont be disappointed.

I can only dream of seeing this woman sing live...but I will keep dreaming

LiveSTRONG!

No comments: